My photo
Charleston, SC, United States
"Fear is a stranger to the ways of love. Identify with fear, and you will be a stranger to yourself." -ACIM

Sunday, May 17, 2009

We all SUCK!

Ever notice how we, and I do mean most people here, don’t do a good job of following through with what we plan on doing or say we are going to do?

This can be anything from not calling Granny to not going back to school to get our degree. It varies from person to person, but in general I’ve found that for most people it’s not simply procrastination, its apathy. “Ehh… not really.”

Have you ever made plans with someone and then when the time came around you found some excuse as to why you couldn’t do it? That’s what I’m talking about here. And I don’t mean something just came up and prevented you from following through, I mean you just didn’t put in any effort to follow through with what you said you were going to do. I’m sure everyone reading this has a friend that they haven’t spoken to in over three months. Why haven’t you called them? Most people including myself would ask, why haven’t they called me? If that’s the case, then you might as well delete each others phone number and move on with your lives. What’s the point? You’re not really friends, your acquaintances. See you at the annual Christmas party or at the next High School reunion.

We are all guilty of this, so I’m not standing on a soap box here. But, I will from this point forward not count on someone’s word unless I know them to be 100% committed to keeping their word 100% of the time. What’s the point? And how many times have I made that same claim myself? “I’ll never put my trust in so and so again.” Yeah right!

I had planned on doing a brunch for all of my friends and family the Sunday before I leave Charleston. No longer. Why should I put in effort to plan and organize something just to be disappointed when people don’t show up after saying they will? That would suck! I would hate for my last morning in one of my favorite places in the world to be tainted with disappointment just because I was again faced with a lack of commitment on the part of those that I think/thought actually would care.

No this was not brought on all of a sudden by one particular event, but rather a series of events over the past month or so that have just brought further validation to my theory that despite what we claim, American society still has an ‘every man for himself’ attitude. I am no more innocent than anybody else but I think I do a good job of at least putting in an effort to be there when I’m needed or requested.

Call your Granny! Call your friend! Be more than just another letdown for someone… Be the highlight of someone’s day today!

1 comment:

Christie said...

This is exactly why I never plan B-day celebrations for myself!